Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hey, You're Crazy Bitch

I was an emotional teenager. I’m sure my parents debating killing me the majority of the time. I wore a lot of black, I listened to angry music, and I loved the movie The Craft.



The boy and I decided to watch this the other day when we were looking for something light (most stuff is light compared to my recent obsession with Law and Order: SVU. For my time, there’s nothing better than watching Stabler or Fin push around someone who has gotten handsy with a little one). I seriously adored this movie when I was a kid. I wasn’t exactly what you would call popular (in other words, I was a loser) so I really dug the revenge theme.

Although I still think the plot is pretty decent, the boy and I both had to marvel at how incredibly bad the graphics were. Granted we are watching this through eyes that have witnessed all the remake gloss of recent horror flicks, but this was pretty damn bad. The Craft was done in 1996, same year as Independence Day. While the year is comparable, the graphics just aren’t.

On the plus side, Fairuza Balk puts in a great performance. Watching her flip on Skeet Ulrich’s character delights me as much now as it did when I was a surly teenager. Balk’s Nancy is driven completely mad by power and the performance is totally believable. Another plus is Neve Campbell’s curves. That lady had some early Jennifer Lopez style business going on. (But then the same year in Scream those banging curves are nowhere to be found. Where did those ass and titties go? Just another Hollywood casualty I suppose. Sad.) Lastly, for creepy effect the full on bug scenes are pretty top notch. Probably the best effects in the flick and man did they make my skin crawl (both then and now). I spent most of those scenes staring at the couch. There are plenty of creepy crawly creatures I can handle; spiders, snakes, and rats don’t really bother me but one little roach and I’m out with a quickness. Yuck!

The Craft is a nice little blast from the past for me. If you’ve never seen it, I suggest it as long as you don’t expect too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment