Friday, October 16, 2009

Huh

At first I found myself pretty enamored with Drag Me to Hell


drag_me_to_hell_poster




Cutie Allison Lohman, who plays the leading lady Christine, makes the mistake of shaming an old gypsy lady (a very unnerving gypsy lady, might I add. Seriously if someone took their teeth out and laid them on my desk there’s no chance of me being calm and collected about it) by denying her a loan after the old lady has begged her to reconsider. After a very grotesque fight scene between our two girls (I should have realized things were going to get kinda wacky based solely on this scene. How many movies have a crazed old lady trying to bite gum the jaw off of a cute young girl?), the crazy old gypsy curses Christine.

This was where things got a bit crazy. It was typical Sam Raimi (director). While it was a fantastic jump fest (both the boy and the cat saddled me with some dirty looks, demanding that I be still), there was also confusion, disarray, furniture flying, and kitten butchering (was NO WAY I was watching that business. Hid my eyes until it was over). I was back and forth between being deliciously scared and exchanging WTF looks with the boy. The height of the “huh” came when the badass demon stalking our heroine upchucked her murdered kitten. It did, however, have a fabulous ending that I was glad we weren’t cheated out of (hate it when a horror flick cheats you out of the appropriate fucked up ending and hands you a buttoned up and beautiful happy ending).

While I can’t call it a bad movie, I can’t really say it was a good on either. It was very Raimi Evil Dead. Even though I know I could be lynched by the whole of the horror community for saying this, I’m not an Evil Dead fan (*looks behind me to make sure no one with an I Heart Ash shirt is there looking menacing*). And Evil Dead (with a splash of House of 1000 Corpses) is what this flick reminded me of. I do understand that fear and humor go hand in hand and that’s where these films come from, but I guess that’s just not my bag. It just leaves me shruggy.

Next up: Trick R’ Treat. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment