Monday, September 28, 2009

Mmm, Dessert

I'll try not to gush too much, but my love for Red Velvet


redvelvet_poster

goes far beyond my usual cheerleadering. There really is so much to love about this movie.

I'll start with the stellar performance from Henry Thomas. Although not the typical leading man, Thomas is far more enticing than most any of today's "hot" actors. His portrayal of the scary, yet still alluring Aaron is entirely believable. Aaron is the tormented writer, one part intellectual, one part guy who you find living alone in the woods. Aaron meets Linda, (played by Kelli Garner who does a bang-up job and is just too adorable for words. Have actually liked her since Bully.) his noisy neighbor, at the laundry mat. Even though it’s clear that she finds his brusque manner off putting, she’s still drawn to him. Finding herself on an impromptu lunch date, listening to him tell her a story. There’s just no way one of the CW pretty boys could have pulled this role off. Don’t get me wrong there’s always a place for the pretty boys but to pull off a character with this much depth and intrigue, Thomas was the only answer.


The look of the movie is another high spot for me. This isn’t Platinum Dunes gloss. The screen is filled with saturated color, almost dizzying enough to make your eyes ache. (I think this may have something to do with the way the film was shot. It was done in 35mm. I know very little very little about how filming actually works but in all the poking around I’ve done, everything seems to point to that.) While a lot of the scenes are almost comical, (which I think went a long way toward keeping the boy interested. Good tactic to reach the non-horror obsessed.) like the beheading of the server at the restaurant, there’s still an unnerving, underlying vibe. Everything is just too bright, too vivid, like a bad dream.


And of course I have three cheers for the blood/gore. THEY USE AN ALLIGATOR! Are you shitting me? You can’t beat that! The blood spurted with 1980’s slasher abandon. This elicited applause from me as mass amounts of gushing blood is known to do. Also quite memorable was hearing “Is the radio in his head?” from the boy.

Balls, I'm gushing aren't I?

I guess I just can't help myself. See for yourself. Snag it now! (Also take a look around the official site for cool downloads and pics.)

No comments:

Post a Comment