Saturday, January 22, 2011

Culture and Shit

Call me uncultured or unintelligent but I typically run the other way in the face of movies with subtitles. When I watch a movie I just want to check my mind out and be entertained. No reading involved. Had I done a little investigating before I picked up The Orphanage




I wouldn’t have bought it. But I’m glad I didn’t.

Shady and I ended up watching the movie simply because we were too damn lazy to get up and find something else after we realized it was subtitled. With our asses planted firmly on the couch we decided that we’d give it a little bit and if it really sucked we do something about it. Happily, it never started to suck.

Story is Laura, her husband, and her son have moved into the orphanage she lived at for a little while as a little girl where Laura plans to open a new orphanage. The story starts with most of its focus on Simon, her (adopted, unknown to him) son. He’s an imaginative little boy with a host of imaginary friends and sadly he’s HIV positive. Right away Simon’s “imaginary friend” leads him and Laura on a not so fun treasure hunt in which Simon finds out that he’s adopted and he’s dying. Soon after shit starts getting creepy.

A sad turn of events leads to the unveiling of the real story of the orphanage. Tomas, the freakishly deformed outcast, suffered a “death by teasing” (he died in a cave because he was too ashamed to come out). Tomas’s mother then poisoned the rest of the kids leaving them to haunt the orphanage.

Both of the stories twist together seamlessly to come to one rather sad and fucked up ending. But fucked up in a suitable way. It’s not a happy ending kind of story, but then when one of your main characters is a little boy with HIV, you can’t really expect everything to come up roses.

This movie was low on the blood and gore but it more than made up for it with good, old fashioned ghost story creepy. My cat may or may not have gotten smacked a couple of times due to me jumping out of my skin. So, run watch this now and get your creepy on.

No comments:

Post a Comment